What is Pulmonary Rehabilitation?
- Physician-prescribed exercise.
- Education or training.
- Psychosocial assessment.
- Outcomes assessment.
- Individualized treatment plan.
Respiratory Therapists are Clinical Experts
- Evaluate the patient and create a treatment plan for the patient’s pulmonary rehab program.
- Assess patients during exercise to assure progress to improve endurance.
- Monitor oxygen needs to ensure positive outcomes, as appropriate.
- Educate patients/caregivers on triggers of their disease to achieve improved health.
- Teach patients self-management skills to reduce exacerbations.
Co-Sponsorship of HR 1406 is Important to Patients
Medicare beneficiaries who require supplemental oxygen can’t access oxygen systems appropriate for their medical needs. This is even worse for those who require liquid oxygen. To help fix this issue, the AARC has been working with a comprehensive coalition of oxygen stakeholders that includes, providers, patients, and the durable medical equipment industry. We have met with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) to ask for oxygen reform through regulatory change. And although CMS has made minor changes, but have been clear that the solution must come from Congress. Congress must pass legislation to ensure anyone who requires supplemental oxygen can access the most appropriate type of oxygen equipment for their needs. Congress must prioritize patients and solve this problem.
The 4 Pillars of Reform
- Create a patients’ bill of rights to ensure care is focused on patient needs.
- Ensure access to liquid oxygen for patients for whom it is medically necessary.
- Create a statutory service element to provide adequate reimbursement for respiratory therapists to ensure patients have access to their expertise.
- To ensure predictable and adequate reimbursement and to protect against fraud and abuse, establish national standardized documentation requirements that rely upon a template rather than prescriber medical records to support claims for supplemental oxygen suppliers.
Is there a bill number?
Do we have draft legislation to addresses this issue?
Yes and we can share that with you upon request.