Mastering clinical acid-base is key to providing respiratory care, and now RTs can take advantage of a free Kindle Edition e-book on the topic available August 23-27 on Amazon. All you’ll need is the Kindle app and an Amazon account to purchase the free e-book.
Written by Benjamin Abelow, MD, The Painless Guide to Mastering Clinical Acid-Base includes chapters on ABG interpretation along with diagnostic cases and mini-cases to help the reader build clinical competence. Clear explanations of the anion gap, bicarbonate buffer system, and lung and kidney physiology are all included.
Dr. Abelow believes the book can provide RTs and RT students alike with a strong, almost intuitive, grasp of how carbon dioxide functions and moves in the body, how the whole acid-base system works, and how disturbances in the system affect arterial blood gases.
“I don’t think there is a better way for students to learn to diagnose acid-base disturbances from the blood gas, or for practicing respiratory therapists to take their competence to the next level,” Dr. Abelow said.
He even has a tip for busy students and clinicians who may not have time to tackle the whole book at once: “If time is tight and a respiratory therapist or student wants a fast, high-yield reading strategy, here’s a suggestion – read the Optional Review, followed by chapters 1-3, then read chapters 5 and 11.That’s just 1/3 of the book but it will provide great value on topics that are especially important to respiratory therapists. And if you fall in love with the book, you can then back-fill additional chapters.”
Amazon reviewers agree the book is a must-have for clinicians who work with the clinical acid-base. According to B. Peter Sawaya, MD, professor of medicine and fellowship program director in the Division of Nephrology, Bone and Mineral Metabolism at the University of Kentucky, “Dr. Abelow has an incredible ability to transform complex concepts into easy-to-read chapters on acid-base physiology and pathophysiology. He understands precisely where a reader may have difficulty grasping a particular topic and he uses a direct, almost conversational tone and simple graphics to crystallize the idea.”
To get your free copy of this Kindle e-book during August 23-27, 2017, all you’ll need is an existing Amazon account or to create an Amazon account, as well as utilize the Kindle app or the Kindle Cloud Reader to read this e-book. Just follow these simple steps:
- Visit Amazon.com and login (or create a free Amazon account).
- Once you are logged into your Amazon account, search for the title of the book in Amazon’s search bar or select the following link The Painless Guide to Mastering Clinical Acid-Base to access the e-book.
- Once you locate the e-book, select the tab labeled Kindle version priced at $0.00. The Kindle version tab can be found on the left side of the Paperback tab.
***NOTE *** DO NOT SELECT the $19.95 paperback version
- Click the “Buy now with 1-Click button” on the right side of the screen.
***NOTE*** DO NOT SELECT the “Read for Free” option
- You should then receive a message thanking you for your purchase and a confirmation email with access to your free e-book!
- Once you “purchase” the book, it will remain permanently in your Amazon library and you’ll be able to load it onto any device (phone, tablet, laptop, etc.) that has a Kindle app linked to your account.
Wondering why Dr. Abelow is making this generous offer?
“I truly believe this book can greatly help clinicians, and ultimately, their patients,” Dr. Abelow said. “Giving away a lot of copies is the best way I know to ensure that the book gets widely read and used.”
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or comments, we’d love to hear from you.